Friday, October 26, 2007

Forks in the Road

So this will be a post with little knitting content. But a lot of things have been going on lately, and I thought I would post them here.

So I have been attending college and studying history, but I have been specializing in women's history, and primarily in the history of violence and rape. Not a pleasant topic, by any means.. but one that can't be forgotten, either.

And I am an activist, too. I am active at our local Planned Parenthood, and I am vice-president of the on campus Students for Choice group. So I tend to speak up about things.

The university I go to offers a Masters degree in Women's Studies. And the with that, I could teach at the local community colleges - there are tons around here. And they are clamoring for more diverse courses to be taught.

I thought I would graduate in the spring and work in social work, like at Planned Parenthood or at the YWCA. While I don't have a degree in social work, I have "street experience". And I'm still gaining it. As a social worker, though, you don't make much money.

I had an appointment with a professor, though, who said that she would like to see me get my Masters - and coincidentally, she is also head of the Masters program on campus. She said with that I could also supplement what I make working full time. I won't be making much, but I'll be doing what I love. And getting a teaching position from time to time might help make the ends meet.

So it's been pretty interesting. For a while I thought I was going to be going down one road.. graduating, working, (finally getting a spinning wheel!!!), but then a door opened that might help me grow some more. It's going to take some more thought, but it might be worth it.

2 comments:

String said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.